Sunday, May 24, 2009

Design Dilemma

So we are having our counter tops installed next week.....YAY!!! I'm truly excited. All along I've had this look in my head of what I wanted our kitchen to look like but it's going to be a several step process. What I envision is painting our cabinets a white or off white color in the future but that will probably be the last step in the remodel process. We are installing black granite counter tops and with the white cabinets and black counter tops I envisioned a slate back splash. Can you see it?? The slate back splash is multi colored....it has a lot of color variation from earthy browns to ashy greys. I also have the design of how I want the back splash layed out. However I am starting to worry that my vision might not look right because my hubby seems to think we need to add some black into the back splash to pull it in with the counter top. While I agree it will tie it into the black counter tops I'm not really sure that it's necessary. I think it almost might subtract from the natural beauty of the slate. Sure it might dress it up but I just don't know. So you see, I have a dilemma. I know there are a few of you that read the blog that are designers( sara w. ) or that are into decorating ( amanda g. and elizabeth h. and you sister) out there that can give me their input. Even if you are not a designer or into decorating, I'd still love to hear your opinion. Thanks!




This is the one with black little tiles added to the slate ribbon that will separate the straight tiles from the diagonal.




This is the one that is just all slate tile with a ribbon of smaller slate between the straight tiles and the ones set on the diagonal.

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I love the design you are going for with the back splash.

The black granite and slate sound nice but I admit I am having a hard time envisioning the two together. What I think I am picturing in my head looks great. Slate has some great natural colors.

If you feel the need to really tie the two materials together I say go with the first. I think the second design is better though. Seems a little less busier than the first.

Sara said...

They're both good, but I like the first one - I think I'm just partial bigger tiles in general. I can also see wanting to tie the two together, and the little black specks in the top one does that. Either one will look great - you have two good ones to choose from.

I'm so stoked for you :)