Monday, February 16, 2009

Numinous Awe

I bought this book The Complete C.S Lewis Signature Classics and have been anxiously waiting to read it. It has about 7 of his books all in one, two of which I have already read ( Mere Christianity, A Grief Observed) but finally was able to start it and I chose to start with The Problem of Pain. I am on the 2nd chapter and I am already blown away by it. Blown Away. I do not understand why everyone has not read C.S Lewis. I think it should be required reading when becoming a Christian. He has the most perfect ability to make some of the most valid questions a Christian or even non christian might have and explaining it to it's core in a way that our minds can grasp. Well at least he does this for me. If ever I could use the word brilliant, on him would it be most appropriate. I can't even seem to move past this one paragraph because I am just in awe of his writing. It's weird. I could almost say I love this man and I don't even know him. Well not physically anyway. I kind of do feel like I know him. I think I might be obsessed with him...haha. It's amazing to me that a writer or anyone for that matter could have this much of an impact on me. The book that I just finished ended with the last few moments of C.S Lewis life and I actually cried. Real Tears. He's just a brilliant man.
Here are the last few paragraphs that I just read that just has me in awe again of him and his writing. He's trying to explain GODS power and that saying in scripture that with GOD all things are possible.

It is common enough, he says, in argument with an unbeliever, to be told that God, if He existed and were good, would do this or that;and then,if we point out that the proposed action is impossible, to be met with the retort "But I thought God was supposed to be able to do anything". This raises the whole question of impossibility.

His Om-nipotence means power to do all that is intrinsically possible, not to do the intrinsically impossible. You may attribute miracles to Him, but not nonsense. This is no limit to His power. If you chose to say, "God can give a creature free will and at the same time withhold free will from it", you have not succeeded in saying anything about God;meaningless combinations of words do not suddenly acquire meaning simply because we prefix to them the two other words "God can". It remains true that all things are possible with God:the intrinsic impossibilities are not things but nonentities. It is no more possible for God than for the weakest of His creatures to carry out both of the two mutually exclusive alternatives; not because His power meets an obstacle, but because nonsense remains nonsense even when we talk it about God.


He also says - The absolutely impossible may also be called the intrinsically impossible because it carries its impossibility within itself, instead of borrowing it from other impossibilities which in turn depend on others. It has no unless clause attached to it. It is impossible under all conditions and in all worlds and for all agents. "All agents" here includes God himself.

Isn't that good stuff?? I can't wait to finish the book.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, the lesson here is NOT to use the word impossible (with God) because with God all things are "possible" (Mark 10:27). Is that right? Impossible is impossible no matter what. Is that what these two paragraphs are saying? Or am I completely wrong?) Just want to be clear, it is really too early for my mind to read something so complex. ;) Leave it to Monica to thoroughly LOVE this kind of writing. My smart sister.

Monica said...

Oh NO sister. I have to read and read and reread just one line sometimes just to get what he's saying and then I am not even sure I do.
haha

Sara said...

I started reading Mere Christianity a few years ago and could only get through the first 2 or 3 pages - it was so deep and thought-provoking that I felt I could only take it a very small chunk at a time. I wholeheartedly agree that he's a brilliant writer, and like you, I find myself reading and re-reading over and over to digest what he's saying. I should really finish that book...

Monica said...

Sara I've read Mere Christianity 3 times and will probably read it again!

Sarah Hogan said...

When you've finished C.S. Lewis, you need to read Dietrich Bonhoeffer. He has changed the way Phillip and I see Christianity altogether.

Anonymous said...

性感遊戲 ,成人網站 ,布蘭妮貼圖區 ,kiss情色網 ,網路自拍 ,絲襪美腿 ,歐美貼圖片區 ,情色交友 ,a片分享 ,線上a片 ,sogo情色論壇 ,情色聊天室 ,癡漢論壇 ,et免費a片 ,咆哮小老鼠 ,影音城論壇 ,kavo ,美女遊戲區 ,台灣情 kiss 色網貼圖區 ,辣手美眉 ,情色貼圖 ,美女寫真 ,sogo情色論壇 ,成人視訊 ,高雄正妹地圖 ,影片轉檔 ,美女圖庫 ,脫衣服遊戲 ,999成人性站 ,色咪咪影片網 ,線上即時通 ,18成人avooo ,

免費 a片 ,免費av18禁 ,aio交友網 ,無碼女優 ,貼圖 ,69成人 ,美女寫真 ,qq聊天室 ,080苗栗人聊天室 ,波波情色貼圖 ,哈雷聊天室 ,情色漫畫 ,高雄正妹地圖 ,

看a片 ,成人夜色 ,小魔女自拍天堂 ,成人網站 情色論壇 ,視訊 ,影音分享 ,影音部落格 ,卡通影片 ,成人情色 ,色情聊天室 ,野外自拍 ,ut聊天室 ,aa的滿18歲影片 ,正妹強力版 ,3d美女圖 ,聊天室入口 ,性感沙灘3 ,成人文學 ,貼圖區 ,小弟弟貼影片 ,中部人聊天室 ,18禁漫畫 ,vlog電眼美女 ,躺伯虎聊天室 ,正妹照片 ,嘟嘟貼圖 ,av影片 ,小弟弟貼影片區 ,a片小說 ,080聊天室 ,a片免費看 ,正妹星球 ,真實自拍 ,看a片 ,