Sunday, February 15, 2009

The Sack Lunches

This is an email that was forwarded and I don't usually read forwards much less forward them. For some reason I read this one and it really struck me. I admire so much men and women who serve this country and basically write a blank check to the United States of America in the sum or their life! I don't know if it's a true story or a made up story but I'm sure things like this happen all the time out of the generous hearts of men/women.

The Sack Lunches

I put my carry-on in the luggage compartment and sat down in my
assigned
seat. It was going to be a long flight. 'I'm glad I have a good book
to
read Perhaps I will get a short nap,' I thought.

Just before take-off, a line of soldiers came down the aisle and
filled
all the vacant seats, totally surrounding me. I decided to start a
conversation. 'Where are you headed?' I asked the soldier seated
nearest
to me.

'Petawawa. We'll be there for two weeks for special training, and then
we're being deployed to Afghanistan

After flying for about an hour, an announcement was made that sack
lunches
were available for five dollars. It would be several hours before we
reached the east, and I quickly decided a lunch would help pass the
time..

As I reached for my wallet, I overheard soldier ask his buddy if he
planned to buy lunch. 'No, that seems like a lot of money for just a
sack
lunch. Probably wouldn't be worth five bucks. I'll wait till we get to
base '

His friend agreed.

I looked around at the other soldiers. None were buying lunch. I
walked
to the back of the plane and handed the flight attendant a fifty dollar
bill. 'Take a lunch to all those soldiers.' She grabbed my arms and
squeezed tightly. Her eyes wet with tears, she thanked me. 'My son
was a
soldier in Iraq ; it's almost like you are doing it for him.'

Picking up ten sacks, she headed up the aisle to where the soldiers
were
seated. She stopped at my seat and asked, 'Which do you like best -
beef
or chicken?'

'Chicken,' I replied, wondering why she asked. She turned and went to
the
front of plane, returning a minute later with a dinner plate from first
class. 'This is your thanks.'

After we finished eating, I went again to the back of the plane,
heading
for the rest room. A man stopped me. 'I saw what you did. I want to
be
part of it. Here, take this.' He handed me twenty-five dollars.

Soon after I returned to my seat, I saw the Flight Captain coming down
the
aisle, looking at the aisle numbers as he walked, I hoped he was not
looking for me, but noticed he was looking at the numbers only on my
side
of the plane. When he got to my row he stopped, smiled, held out his
hand,
an said, 'I want to shake your hand.'

Quickly unfastening my seatbelt I stood and took the Captain's hand.
With a booming voice he said, 'I was a soldier and I was a military
pilot.
Once, someone bought me a lunch. It was an act of kindness I never
forgot.' I was embarrassed when applause was heard from all of the
passengers.

Later I walked to the front of the plane so I could stretch my legs.
A man who was seated about six rows in front of me reached out his
hand,
wanting to shake mine. He left another twenty-five dollars in my palm.

When we landed I gathered my belongings and started to deplane.
Waiting just inside the
airplane door was a man who stopped me, put something in my shirt
pocket,
turned, and walked away without saying a word. Another twenty-five
dollars!

Upon entering the terminal, I saw the soldiers gathering for their
trip to
the base. I walked over to them and handed them seventy-five dollars.
'It
will take you some time to reach the base. It will be about time for a
sandwich. God Bless You.'

Ten young men left that flight feeling the love and respect of their
fellow travelers. As I walked briskly to my car, I whispered a prayer
for
their safe return. These soldiers were giving their all for our
country.
I could only give them a couple of meals.

It seemed so little...

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life,wrote a blank check

made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to
and
including my life.'

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who
no
longer understand it.'

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awe, what a great story! Like you, I never read forwards. Makes me think what I might be missing. I sure hope this story is true.

You know, when ever I see a soldier, I always want to thank them but for some reason, I never find the courage. It's so out of my character. But, that is terrible, they deserve to hear it.

Anonymous said...

性感遊戲 ,成人網站 ,布蘭妮貼圖區 ,kiss情色網 ,網路自拍 ,絲襪美腿 ,歐美貼圖片區 ,情色交友 ,a片分享 ,線上a片 ,sogo情色論壇 ,情色聊天室 ,癡漢論壇 ,et免費a片 ,咆哮小老鼠 ,影音城論壇 ,kavo ,美女遊戲區 ,台灣情 kiss 色網貼圖區 ,辣手美眉 ,情色貼圖 ,美女寫真 ,sogo情色論壇 ,成人視訊 ,高雄正妹地圖 ,影片轉檔 ,美女圖庫 ,脫衣服遊戲 ,999成人性站 ,色咪咪影片網 ,線上即時通 ,18成人avooo ,

免費 a片 ,免費av18禁 ,aio交友網 ,無碼女優 ,貼圖 ,69成人 ,美女寫真 ,qq聊天室 ,080苗栗人聊天室 ,波波情色貼圖 ,哈雷聊天室 ,情色漫畫 ,高雄正妹地圖 ,

看a片 ,成人夜色 ,小魔女自拍天堂 ,成人網站 情色論壇 ,視訊 ,影音分享 ,影音部落格 ,卡通影片 ,成人情色 ,色情聊天室 ,野外自拍 ,ut聊天室 ,aa的滿18歲影片 ,正妹強力版 ,3d美女圖 ,聊天室入口 ,性感沙灘3 ,成人文學 ,貼圖區 ,小弟弟貼影片 ,中部人聊天室 ,18禁漫畫 ,vlog電眼美女 ,躺伯虎聊天室 ,正妹照片 ,嘟嘟貼圖 ,av影片 ,小弟弟貼影片區 ,a片小說 ,080聊天室 ,a片免費看 ,正妹星球 ,真實自拍 ,看a片 ,