Monday, September 22, 2008

Walk the line

This weekend Hannah had her 1st soccer game with this new Academy League she's playing on. She has been playing soccer since she was 5 so this is going on her 3rd year and she has played every season. It's wonderful to see the skills she has acquired and also the knowledge and understanding of the game. She's a pretty smart girl and she claims she really loves playing. But she can be a bit of a thinker and I'm wondering if that interferes with her being able to just instinctively play. I am not quite sure how to go about motivating her to be the best she can and to give her 100% in all that she does. I find my self watching her play and getting frustrated because it seems to me that she is not giving her best. I think she can do better. After her game she asked me if I thought she played well. I did not want to lie and say,"Oh yes Honey you played so well" when I really think she did not. And on the flip side I did not want to crush her little spirit and say, " well I really don't think you gave it your best". I don't know how to let her know I think she could be trying harder with our her getting discouraged especially if she feels like she gave it her all. There's playing well and there's playing your best. In the past if I have ever tried to give her some constructive criticism she gets extremely defensive and whines that I don't think she is good enough. If I ever suggest that she needs to be practicing more she gets upset and says I am suggesting that she does not know how to play and she already knows how to play so why should she practice. She thinks she knows it all and she thinks she is good enough already when in reality it isn't quite so. To be really good at something it takes practice and more practice and I can't seem to make her understand that with out her getting extremely upset. So I'm wondering if I should just spend some time telling her that she is playing really well ( even if she isn't) just to build up her confidence and hope that from that confidence her improvement will be manifest. Or would that backfire and actually cause her to have this false confidence and therefor believe even more that she does not need to improve. I don't know. Everything with Hannah is always a lot of work and a lot of mental exhaustion. There is this extremely fine line that has to be tiptoed on when dealing with her and if you tiptoe ever so slightly on the wrong side of that fine line it results in some major drama and melt downs. I try very hard to avoid drama and melt downs.....I don't do well with those. I just want to be a good encourager to her and help her live up to her potential because she has a lot of it. I don't expect perfection( well maybe I do a little) but I expect her to give 100%. Is that wrong?

8 comments:

Summer said...

I think Melanie brings up a good point. Lead by example.
Plus, Monica - look at this objectively -- how old is Hannah? Why is she playing soccer? For fun - or for future achievements?
She's still a little girl - and her mind and thoughts to 'doing good' don't exactly mean the same thing as giving your best. Is she able to truly understand that right now? What would be giving her best at the age of 5 or 6?
Having fun - interacting socially - and wanting to go back for more games and practice.
I think you should continue encouraging her - giving her praise - then she'll give her 'best'.

Anonymous said...

I think that Summer is exactly right. She is only playing soccer for fun and while you want her to be the best soccer player she can be, she only wants to play and have fun doing it. I also think that you should just continue to encourage her and praise her for having the self confidence to get out there and play in the first place. I think that you should just relax a bit and have some fun watching her have fun!! Hopefully that will help avoid all the drama!

Anonymous said...

What great advice you've received. I agree :)

Monica said...

It is great advice!! All of it I sometimes am way to hard on her and she's only 8 years old. This league she is playing on is for the more competitive girls who take the game pretty seriously and Hannah knew that going into it. BUT still they are 8 and I guess I just need to remind myself of that more often and like Raven said just RELAX and praise her for a job well done! I know I could not go out there and do it....she's a tough little girl.

Amanda Gregory said...

PLEASE build up her self-esteem!!!! There are many more rewards for that later in life.

Take it from someone that this didn't happen to.

Anonymous said...

Surprise, Monica! It's Nancy C.!
I want to loan you my textbook from Creation Therapy that taught me about temperaments and how to counsel, yes, even parents!- about how to understand their children, themselves, and what is the best route to take in helping our children achieve and be all God created them to be! I earned 3 college credits with this course, and it helped me belatedly understand my children. In hindsight, with this knowledge, I could see where I had missed it with Joshua, especially. Helped Jim and I understand each other better as well. We can find ourselves expecting certain things from others that they just aren't designed to deliver in the way in which we EXPECT. Would you care to see the textbook?? Love, CoCo

Monica said...

Nancy - Thank you so much for your comments and I would love to read that book! Sounds really neat.

Anonymous said...

性感遊戲 ,成人網站 ,布蘭妮貼圖區 ,kiss情色網 ,網路自拍 ,絲襪美腿 ,歐美貼圖片區 ,情色交友 ,a片分享 ,線上a片 ,sogo情色論壇 ,情色聊天室 ,癡漢論壇 ,et免費a片 ,咆哮小老鼠 ,影音城論壇 ,kavo ,美女遊戲區 ,台灣情 kiss 色網貼圖區 ,辣手美眉 ,情色貼圖 ,美女寫真 ,sogo情色論壇 ,成人視訊 ,高雄正妹地圖 ,影片轉檔 ,美女圖庫 ,脫衣服遊戲 ,999成人性站 ,色咪咪影片網 ,線上即時通 ,18成人avooo ,

免費 a片 ,免費av18禁 ,aio交友網 ,無碼女優 ,貼圖 ,69成人 ,美女寫真 ,qq聊天室 ,080苗栗人聊天室 ,波波情色貼圖 ,哈雷聊天室 ,情色漫畫 ,高雄正妹地圖 ,

看a片 ,成人夜色 ,小魔女自拍天堂 ,成人網站 情色論壇 ,視訊 ,影音分享 ,影音部落格 ,卡通影片 ,成人情色 ,色情聊天室 ,野外自拍 ,ut聊天室 ,aa的滿18歲影片 ,正妹強力版 ,3d美女圖 ,聊天室入口 ,性感沙灘3 ,成人文學 ,貼圖區 ,小弟弟貼影片 ,中部人聊天室 ,18禁漫畫 ,vlog電眼美女 ,躺伯虎聊天室 ,正妹照片 ,嘟嘟貼圖 ,av影片 ,小弟弟貼影片區 ,a片小說 ,080聊天室 ,a片免費看 ,正妹星球 ,真實自拍 ,看a片 ,